WSR: #22: June 20th - 26th 2022
Getting back into the swing of things
Published: June 26, 2022
Reading Time: 4 minutes
This Week’s Recap
- Spent some time planning out my training for the next couple months.
- My tentative training calendar has the following
- GCIA: Scheduled for this week and next week. Test is tentatively scheduled for July 16th Depending on how confident I am with the material as that deadline approaches
- GDSA: I have this scheduled to begin July 18th and hopefully I will be able to get through the material by August 6th which is when I plan on taking the test.
- GPYC: I have taken the 5 day class on this (and placed 2nd in the PyWars CTF!) but I do need to go back and catch up on some of the material that I had to step out for. I plan on doing this whenever I have free time. This will probably be after GDSA.
- OSCP: I plan on starting the OSCP labs around the 22nd of august which will give me a few months to work on them before December.
- PNPT: I need to find a time that I can retake the PNPT exam but I’m not sure when that will be due to previous commitments which is a shame because I hate leaving things unfinished.
- I really want to start teaching/creating more video content that can reach a wider audience than a blog ever will. I think my biggest reason for doing so is to create content that would have helped me when I was first getting into security but also to provide some more technical content for free.
- I have a bunch of video topics but I would love to know if there is something you would want me to make a video on
- Drove home from Vacation.
- Listened to a bunch of the SANS internet Storm Center episodes. Highly recommend if you don’t listen to these!
- Worked on setting up some stuff for content creation in the future
- Set up OBS to be more than a simple screen/webcam rectangle
- Looked into some video editing solutions. Probably won’t go with Premiere pro even though I know it really well because it doesn’t run on Linux.
- Still working out how a video creation workflow might look like in reality. I am thinking of writing a blog on each topic and then turning that blog into a rough draft of a script for each video but not every video topic deserves its own blog and vice-versa.
- Signed up for GDSA through the SANS masters
- Attended the first day of the 7 day GCIA classes.
- Technically attended the second day of the GCIA classes but could not pay attention at all with everything going wrong in the world. :(
Indexed the GPYC books I got a few weeks ago. Still need to re-watch the videos. I was skeptical as to how useful a python course would be but I was blown away by the amount of content covered in this class. I need to rewatch the rest of the lecture videos and brush up on some regex but it is not my top priority right now.
Took the first GPYC Practice test and passed with the minimum score of 67%… I suppose its not too bad considering I have not gone through the books to take notes or gone through much of the video material.
- I will say that I drastically underestimated the regex portion of exam. I know the basics but I was not ready for the size of the regex expressions I was going to have to be deciphering. This is the first exam I was worried about the time limit on simply because each regex question took me so much time. Still need to put a lot more time in to get some of the nuances. I’m at the point where I don’t really care about the cert, I actually just want to understand the material.
- Rendered out all the Practical Phishing Assessment videos into a three part video series that I will be uploading to youtube.
- Recorded intros for each
- I will be uploading this sometime this week. If you want to be notified, you can subscribe here I plan on releasing a lot of content soon. With everything going on in the world, it is important to give back as much as you possibly can and I feel I have enough experience in a few different domains that I can start sharing some of my knowledge.
- Spent some time learning about how kdenlive works. Seems to be a great video editor for Linux. There are some quirks but most of that is just from me trying to use Adobe Premiere shortcuts that I learned when I edited call of duty videos in highschool 👀
Have any questions
Do you have any questions? Feel free to reach out to me on twitter. See you next Sunday. :)